Shehan Chandrasekera is one of only a handful of CPAs in the country who is a subject matter expert on cryptocurrency taxes. He is a published author, CPA Continuing Professional Education instructor and a frequent technical contributor to various social media platforms. He was one of the first CPAs to have a published academic article on cryptocurrency taxation. He joined the CoinTracker team as the Head of Tax Strategy to improve the CPA user experience and to accelerate industry outreach. In addition to his role with CoinTracker,
Shehan also leads a Technology & Startup in Houston and serves as the Associate Director for the Houston Blockchain Alliance. Cryptocurrency tax rules vary from country-to-country. For this episode, we focus on the United States, but crypto is global so if you have taxable events in other countries, you’ll need to become familiar with those laws as well. And the information contained in this episode from both Shehan and from me is for information and entertainment purposes only. Contact your tax, financial and legal advisors for advice for your specific situation and issues.
Guest social assets:
Cointracker.io Crypto Tax Guide: https://www.cointracker.io/bitcoin-taxes
Questions and requests: email@example.com
- Questions and requests: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Follow: Twitter @AtTechIntersect Instagram @TechIntersect
- Web: http://www.TechIntersectPodcast.com
- Mailing List: http://eepurl.com/gKqDyP
UPGRADE YOUR EXPERIENCE
Want early access to episodes, exclusive content including full show notes, live video chats and replays, a copy of my e-book, The Gen Xers Guide to Upskilling for a Web 3.0 World and self-guided course of the same name? Subscribe to Advantage Evans™ Plus, Advantage Evans Premium™ or Advantage Evans Pro™: https://techintersectpodcast.com/advantage-evans/
If you like my content and want to support my efforts, you can buy me a coffee and share your thoughts 🎉☕ https://www.buymeacoffee.com/techintersect
Rapternal Music (Regulate and The Rabbit Hole) by Notty Productions is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.
Produced by Tonya Evans for FYOS Entertainment, LLC, and Stephanie Renee for Soul Sanctuary, Inc.
Advantage Evans™ Subscriber Notes below :
[mepr-show if=”rule: 609″]
- Sign up for Cointracker.io and mention this “Tech Intersect” episode with Shehan for a discount
- Reality Check: Virtual currency and its tax ramifications: https://www.thetaxadviser.com/issues/2018/jul/virtual-currency-tax-ramifications.html
- Cointracker.io Crypto Tax Guide: https://www.cointracker.io/bitcoin-taxes
- CryptoTrader.tax Guide: https://www.cryptotrader.tax/blog/the-traders-guide-to-cryptocurrency-taxes
- IRS Warnings to Bitcoin Traders Offer Clues to Coming Tax Guidance: https://www.coindesk.com/irs-warning-letters-to-crypto-traders-hint-at-whats-in-coming-guidance
- IRS Bulletin about the 10K Letters to pay back taxes: https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/irs-has-begun-sending-letters-to-virtual-currency-owners-advising-them-to-pay-back-taxes-file-amended-returns-part-of-agencys-larger-efforts